This has quickly become my go-to winter salad. Around mid-morning I’m often wondering “what’s for lunch” and love remembering the beets in fridge I got at the markets on Friday will make a warming, filling and delicious salad.
This salad is inspired by My New Roots Rice and Beet Travel Salad so with a few minor adjustments you can take this baby to work.
I vary the use of greens, if I’ve got lots of kale I’ll chop that up and massage it in place of baby spinach, I’ve also made it with rocket/arugula and any lettuce I’ve got in the fridge. By far the spinach is best, although you’ll notice in the photo it’s rocket. That’s because my market man was out of spinach and had this super fresh rocket.
Oh, I forgot to mention the best of this salad is the creamy maple nut dressing. It tastes so mmmm and delicious it is hard to believe how healthy it is for you. No quilt required! I use this dressing on lots of things now like steamed veg (especially for the little man and husband who don’t need to know how healthy it is), wraps and other salads.
Whilst it looks like this takes a while to put together, each step just needs your attention for about a minute (like putting the beets in the oven and putting the brown rice on), so it only really takes about 10 minutes at the end to throw together.
- 1 large beetroot or 2 smaller beets
- ½ cup brown rice
- about 1 cup of baby spinach washed (or other greens)
- creamy maple dressing
- Preheat oven to 175°C / 250°F
- Wrap beetroot in foil and put in oven for an hour or until soft.
- After 30 minutes, bring a full kettle to boil, add boiling water to pan and stir in brown rice on high. Turn heat down to medium/low (a good simmer) and cook for 20 - 25 mins (or according to instructions on packet).
- When beetroot is ready take out of the oven and let cool with foil open for a few minutes.
- When rice is cooked (test a bit on a spoon), drain and rinse in strainer.
- Peel beetroot by cutting off skin - it should mostly come off with your knife, if not just cut it off.
- Throw all the ingredients together and dress with creamy maple dressing.