Let me just start by saying I did not name this salad. Every time I have this my husband thinks he is being hilarious by asking if I’m eating a smug salad. Hence it is now known in our house as a “smug salad”.
Why smug? Well it has those two on-trend superfoods – kale and quinoa. I’ve talked about the benefits of kale in this baked mushrooms with kale recipe but haven’t yet discussed quinoa.
So what is so special about quinoa? Firstly, it’s awesome for those gluten intolerant people (like my mum – happy mother’s day btw!), so it is a good substitute for couscous or even rice. Secondly, quinoa contains more protein than any other grain (even though it is not a true grain, it is usually referred to as an “ancient grain” because it was part of the diet of pre-Columbian Andean civilizations), as well as being high in fibre, low-gi, rich in antioxidants and calcium. And it is doesn’t involve too much processing to get it at your local health food store or supermarket, so it’s pretty close to its natural state.
During summer, this was my go-to salad. It’s when I really started experimenting with quinoa for quick lunches and chopped salads just taste more interesting than an ordinary salad, this seems particularly so with quinoa.
- 2 stems curly organic kale, stalk removed and chopped
- ½ cup organic quinoa, cooked to packet instructions
- ½ cup roughly chopped cucumber
- ½ cup roughly chopped tomatoes
- 1 avocado, roughly chopped
- good handful of parsley, chopped
- juice of ½ to 1 lemon
- olive oil
- Rinse the cooked quinoa under the cold tap through a sieve. Push the excess water through and leave to drain.
- After chopping the kale, put it into your salad bowl and pour a little olive oil over it. Now rub, rub, rub the kale in between your fingers making sure the oil is massaged into kale. It should slightly change colour.
- Once you're done with the kale, mix all the ingredients together in the bowl. Squeeze the lemon juice, mix around and taste. You might not need any additional olive oil and will likely need to adjust the amount of lemon juice according to your taste buds.
- Enjoy and feel smug!